Friday, February 12, 2010

Neon Indian Performs on Late Night with Jimmy Fallon

Neon Indian had their TV debut last night on Late Night with Jimmy Fallon, they performed "Terminally Chill" and "Ephemeral Artery" and might I just say, they were as mind bending as ever and sounded great live. For those of you who aren’t familiar, Neon Indian is pretty up there on the savage scale. Not only is their band name super crunchy, but they hail from Austin, Texas as well. Their music is described as electropop, chillwave, neo-psychedelia and indie-pop. But a much better description I’ve read would have to be “borrowed nostalgia from the unremembered 80s.” Because that is exactly the feeling their 2009 album, Psychic Chasms, gives me.









Every time I hear “Should Have Taken Acid With You.” It’s like I want to meet up with all my old high school cronies in a Dazed and Confused field party, except we will all be wearing acid wash jeans and tank tops even though I went to high school well after the 70’s and 80’s.


I blasted “Deadbeat Summer” the entire month of July and still can’t get enough of it. Hot asphalt, cool beverages, swim suits and dive bars come to mind. “Local Joke” gives off a similar vibe. Really the whole album is great, and every song makes me want to party, whether it be on the beach in the dead heat of summer or at a warehouse rave, there is just something about them. I once had a friend describe a song as giving her the same feeling as Don’t Tell Mom the Babysitter’s Dead, I think that description is quite fitting for this album as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment