Saturday, March 13, 2010

Bar Review - A Hybrid DC spot

Since most Savages spend a good majority of their time drinking (we consider it a hobby/healthy interest) we decided we'd do something to help all you Savages out there find legit post up spots to drink at.  Hence we have started our bar reviews.  Since D Rod made a special trip up to DC for the week, we decided to get crackin so we can help you Savages find the best dive bars out there and avoid the shitty ones. So here goes, D Rod's review of a local DC joint, The Passenger:

So, after a long, great day of touring DC and seeing art at the Phillips Collection, I made my way back to the Georgetown district where I’m currently squatting with Tenderfoot for the week. We get a call from a good friend, James, with a dinner invitation. My buddy James is an oxymoron – Corpo by day/Savage as fuck by night, pretty good hybrid if you ask me. Our homeboy lives in the Corpo downtown district,  so Tenderfoot and I had to step out of our crunchy/savage safe zone.
After some amazing cheese and dinner, Tenderfoot and I, fueled by Jameson and PBR, decided to hit up The Passenger, a “great dive bar” suggested to me earlier by a writer for the NY Times. Here’s my little review of the spot:
The Passenger
1021 7th St NW
Washington DC
 -Being a Wednesday night in Corpo Bogan territory the bar was not packed at all. Maybe 30 or so people. So we just pulled up some stools at the bar, no problem. If there was one word to sum up this bar it would be HYBRID... so hard to put into words. For my Charleston people think Chais mixed with Rec Room. I know, weird and a bit scary. I mean half of the people were in bow ties and the other half looked Savage or homeless.
-The actual bar was nothing special, pretty standard in my opinion, but it did have a lot of stainless steel and a kind of modern feel. No vintage decor on the walls, it was all pretty open. Think of a loft apartment. I’ve read a few reviews of this place calling it a “hipster bar,” the people who wrote those must be single soccer moms who drive mini vans. If anything it is more on the corpo side, but then again it IS me and Tender foot, the two most Savage fucks in the world reviewing this bar. Our version of a dive bar would be cannibal themed with whiskey and PBR pouring from the fire sprinklers.


-After a few drinks we had the pleasure of talking to two of the bartenders:



Alex Bookless – head bartender- Alex was a beautiful woman who was very sweet and is apparently very well known in the DC area for her vodka concoctions. This woman is a surgeon with vodka. I’m positive she could make you a shot that tastes like the best filet mignon you’ve ever had. Me and Tenderfoot wouldn’t know though, because we were drinking Steel Reserve out of a can
-What’s your favorite spot to go drink in DC?
Cork has great wine and cheese, also I like going to Saint-ex
-What’s your favorite drink?
A Martinez (old top gin, carpano, antica sweet, vermouth, luxardo maraschino liquer, orange bitters)


 Eamon, the other bartender, was a neck-tattoo sporting, gauged-ear hipster.
-Being in the Corpo district of DC do you like the clientele?
Egghhhh. The office crowd tips good on the weekdays
-Do you get to pick the music that gets played here? If not, what would you play?
Fuck no, I would blast Queens of the Stoneage, LCD Sound System and Bad Brains
-What’s the most common drink ordered here?
Any vodka concoction made by Alex, the most ordered wine would have to be the Tenunta Mazzolino Pinot Nero Pavia IT08
-Do you drink PBR?
Yea, why not?
All in all, it was a fun bar. Not too savage, pretty mellow and cool bartenders!
I give it 3 out of 5 stars
High Points: Steel Reserve and High Life in cans
Low Points: Alex, the amazing vodka surgeon didn’t know what grandma (Grand Marnier) meant when I ordered shots. Supposedly they call it G.M. up here in Corpo Bogan DC land. White Trash
-D Rod

No comments:

Post a Comment